Monday, February 22

This or That: Cooking vs. Baking.

بِسْمِ اللَّهِ الرَّحْمَنِ الرَّحِيم

There is definitely a thinking underlying the preference for cooking vs. baking. I fall in the baking faction and it goes far beyond my liking towards sweet over savory. The reason is pretty simple: I like following directions.

Perhaps I am a bit of perfectionist, the idea of following directions appeals to me. Though, I think I've had a lot more baked goods turn out to be hit than savory recipes, despite following directions. When it comes to cooking, I have to use my judgement rather than precise recipe.
Source: Google Images
Neither baking nor cooking is similar to each other. Baking requires accuracy and perfection. The whole thing must go according to what has to be done. And I’m at ease with the idea that if something is not coming together - it’s because I went astray from the original recipe.

That being said, I still have to cook! I've produced lots of things that aren't necessarily pretty, but I've never yet cooked anything that couldn't be eaten. But then again, I'm not likely to ever become a professional cook - or baker.

Here's to many more posts on either cooking or baking to come! Till then.

No comments: